Today I am going to share with you what are used to love early refer to as my LOOK/ IDEA BOOK . There are so many great ideas, information and pictures out there it’s hard to remember where you saw it and what you like. It’s frustrating and overwhelming. I know it is for. So years ago, I began keeping a three ring binder, and started going through books. On the sign, decorating, and everything in between that I could get my hands on. This is just a small portion of my “ favorite” magazine collection.
It helped me to see what is current and to get ideas for what I liked out there.
What Is A Look Book?
A “look book” in home decorating refers to a collection of visual ideas and inspirations for designing or decorating a space.
It can include photographs, magazine clippings, fabric samples, paint swatches, and other visual elements that represent the desired aesthetic for a room or an entire home.
Look books are often used by interior designers, decorators, or even individuals who are planning to redecorate their homes. Creating a look book helps people visualize different styles, color schemes, furniture arrangements, and decorative elements before making decisions about their own space.
It serves as a visual guide and a source of inspiration throughout the decorating process. Look books can be physical, like a scrapbook, or digital, created using online platforms or software applications.
Today’s Look Book
Today it is much easier, with the introduction of places like Pinterest, Instagram and the Internet. Even with that being said, I still rely on many magazines as well as the Internet. Actually I don’t even stop there, if I’m out and I see something in a store that I like; it wouldn’t be unusual for me to take pictures of it. Yes, I do get a lot of strange looks. But that’s OK! 🙄
Where On The Internet?
Yes, there are several free online tools and software platforms that allow you to create digital mood boards. Here are a few options:
1. **Canva:** Canva is a popular graphic design tool that offers a wide range of templates, including ones for mood boards. It provides a user-friendly interface and a vast library of images and design elements that you can use to create your mood board.
2. **Milanote:** Milanote is a creative tool that allows you to organize your ideas and projects into visual boards. It’s ideal for creating mood boards, and it offers a variety of templates and the ability to add images, links, and notes.
3. **Pinterest:** Pinterest is a social media platform where users can discover and save ideas. You can create boards for different themes or projects and pin images from the internet to your boards, effectively creating digital mood boards.
4. **SampleBoard:** SampleBoard is specifically designed for creating digital mood boards for interior design and other creative projects. It offers a range of tools and a library of design elements to enhance your boards.
5. **Moodzer:** Moodzer is an online mood board creator that allows you to search for images, products, and materials to create your mood board. It’s tailored for interior designers and other creative professionals.
Remember that while these platforms offer free versions, some features might be limited, and they may offer premium plans with additional functionalities. Always check the terms and conditions of the specific platform you choose to ensure it fits your needs.
In the age of quick and overwhelming knowledge, I have moved beyond a binder and use Instagram and Pinterest. The binders were too cumbersome.
In Pinterest I categorize each room of my home by creating an individual Board for that Room. Then when I find pictures that I like, I place them in the appropriate Board (i.e. Living Room, Kitchen, Organization etc.).
Using this concept, believe it or not, I end up with Rooms that have some good elements of interior decorating. Not only that but there are so many talented and creative people sharing information on how to get these looks. So take advantage of this and also “pay it forward” and post your ideas and things that have helped you in your decorating journey.
Believe me, if I can do it, you can do it too! Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder so use your style, likes and imagination. The possibilities are ENDLESS. The end result should be a place you love to come home to and a home you love sharing…..