Hello my Friend, are you searching for affordable closet storage ideas you can do yourself?
When I moved from Arizona into The City Cottage house, I was extremely excited over the large walk-in closet in the master bedroom. Then I looked at The Guest Closet and it was very sad, it was just the standard “builder grade”one shelf wire hanging rack.
How hard could it be to put in a new shelving unit without having to take out what is existing? Well, I’m here to tell you it is not hard and if I can do it, you can do it.
Small Closet Solutions
Small closet organization can seem really challenging, but with a few tips and tricks, you can maximize even the smallest storage space. Learn how to organize a small closet efficiently with an assortment of organizers, racks, shelving and some DIY small closet ideas. These Tips will give you many solutions to small closet organization so that you can make the best choice for your needs.
- Whole closet systems: Large and in charge, these systems help keep your wardrobe neat and tidy. A variety of sizes are available, and many are created specifically for small closet solutions.
- Modular organizers: Offering shelving, drawers and hanging bars, modular options can be used for small closet organization or fitted together for a large closet. They can also be used alongside other closet organizers. Wire organizers are also a great addition if you need easy-to-install shelving or space for shoe boxes and accessories.
- Shoe storage: Hanging shoe organizers get your shoes off the floor and make it easy to find the right pair. Vertical shoe storage also helps maximize the flow of your closet.
Look for hanging organizers that fit right into your existing configuration. You can find a variety of styles with hanging bars, shoe storage and shelving that will fit your closet perfectly.
I have said it before and I’ll say it again, Marketplace on Facebook, is the answer. I always start there and very rarely am I disappointed or I don’t find what I’m looking for. If you have not tried it yet, I encourage you to do so now. “High-Five” Moment I was fortunate I found it for $25 still in the box on FB Marketplace.
Organizing a small closet efficiently can make a significant difference in maximizing space and accessibility. Here’s a step-by-step guide to help you organize your small closet effectively:
- Empty the Closet: Take everything out of the closet to start with a clean slate.
- Declutter: Sort through your items and decide what to keep, donate, or discard. Consider Marie Kondo’s method of keeping items that spark joy.
Steps to Organize:
– Categorize your clothing (shirts, pants, dresses, etc.) and accessories (belts, scarves, hats).
2. Use Storage Solutions:
– Invest in storage solutions such as shelves, bins, baskets, or drawer dividers to maximize space.
– Consider hanging shelves or organizers that utilize vertical space.
– Utilize under-bed storage or storage boxes for seasonal items or shoes.
3. Maximize Hanging Space :
– Use slim hangers to save space and keep clothes from slipping.
– Utilize cascading hangers for tops or pants to maximize vertical space.
4. Fold Strategically :
– Fold bulkier items like sweaters, jeans, and sweatshirts to maximize shelf or drawer space.
– Use techniques like KonMari folding to save space and keep items visible.
5. Organize by Frequency of Use :
– Place frequently used items at eye level for easy access.
– Seasonal or less-used items can be stored higher or in less accessible areas.
6. Label and Categorize :
– Label bins or containers to easily identify their contents.
– Categorize items logically to find them quickly when needed.
7. Utilize Doors and Walls :
– Install hooks, racks, or over-the-door organizers for shoes, bags, or accessories.
– Use hanging organizers on the inside of the door for smaller items or jewelry.
8. Maintain Regularly :
– Make it a habit to regularly reassess your closet to keep it organized.
– Put items back in their designated places after use.
Color Coordinate – Arrange clothes by color to make it visually appealing and easy to find items.
Multi-purpose Items – Use multi-purpose hangers or storage solutions to save space.
Hangers: Use all of the same style, color and size. This gives your closet uniformity and also looks high-end.
Utilize Light: Consider installing a light in the closet to make it easier to see and access items.
Remember, the key to maintaining an organized closet is consistency. Regularly tidying up and putting things back in their designated spots will help keep your small closet organized and functional
How Do I Start A Closet Makeover
Starting a closet makeover involves several steps to ensure a successful and organized transformation. Here’s a step-by-step guide to help you begin your closet makeover:
1. Set Goals and Priorities:
Define Your Needs: Assess what you want to achieve with your closet makeover. Do you need more hanging space, better shoe storage, or increased shelving?
Identify Priorities: Determine which items or clothing categories are most important to you for easy access.
2. Declutter and Purge:
Empty the Closet: Remove all items from your closet. This allows you to start with a clean slate and assess the available space.
Sort and Declutter : Go through each item and decide what to keep, donate, or discard. Be ruthless in getting rid of items you no longer wear or need.
Organize by Categories : Group similar items together (clothing, shoes, accessories) to get a clear idea of what you have.
3. Measure and Plan:
Measure the Space : Take accurate measurements of your closet space, including height, width, and depth. This will help you choose the right storage solutions.
Plan the Layout: Determine how you want to organize your closet. Consider using closet design software or sketch out a plan to visualize the layout.
4. Choose Storage Solutions:
Select Organizational Tools : Based on your needs and available space, choose storage solutions such as shelves, drawers, hanging rods, baskets, bins, or specialized organizers.
Consider Modular Systems : Modular closet systems or kits like those offered by ClosetMaid, IKEA, or Elfa provide customizable solutions to fit various closet sizes and configurations.
5. Install Organizers or Systems:
Install Components : Follow the manufacturer’s instructions to install the chosen closet organizers or systems. This might involve assembling shelves, attaching rods, or mounting brackets.
Utilize Vertical Space : Maximize space by using vertical shelving, hooks, or stackable units.
6. Organize and Arrange:
Categorize Items : Arrange clothing and accessories by category or by frequency of use. Keep frequently used items more accessible.
Utilize Different Zones : Create zones for different items (e.g., a section for shirts, a section for shoes, etc.).
Label and Sort : Label storage bins or shelves to easily identify contents.
7. Add Finishing Touches:
Enhance Visibility :Consider adding lighting to your closet for better visibility, especially in darker areas.
Decorative Elements : Incorporate decorative elements like baskets, colorful hangers, or artwork to personalize your space.
8. Regular Maintenance:
Establish a Routine :Make it a habit to regularly reassess your closet and maintain its organization by returning items to their designated places.
Starting a closet makeover requires planning, decluttering, and selecting suitable storage solutions. By following these steps and customizing them to fit your needs, you can transform your closet into an organized and functional space.
All in all I would say it was pretty simple.
I love the fact that it looks so neat and orderly and it definitely makes it easier to see your clothing and warning to get dressed.
Now that I narrowed down what the closet looks like empty … it’s time to PURGE and what’s left will get organized and will be pretty to look at. Embarking on a closet makeover is an endeavor. But the outcome of a tidier space outweighs the task itself.
Utilizing storage solutions, you’re creating a functional and personalized haven. Along with thoughtful planning paves the way for a well-organized closet. Remember, this process isn’t just about neatness; it’s about simplifying daily routines and making every item easily accessible.
Allow me a moment to express my heartfelt gratitude for your continuous support and readership – you’re more than just a reader; you’re a cherished companion on this blogging adventure! Your feedback holds immense significance for me, so please feel free to share your thoughts and ideas in the comment section below. Thank you for being an integral part of The City Cottage Family.