I had a Bright idea, I thought I would shed some light on bulbs and lighting for your home. I didn’t want to keep you in the dark any longer so I devised a brilliant short tutorial on lighting and cost effectiveness. LOL.
Cardello Lighting Showcase
Today’s light bulbs are not your Thomas Edison’s 19th century invention anymore….we have evolved.
Lighting plays a crucial role in creating ambiance, highlighting features, and enhancing the overall atmosphere of a living space. Here are a few types of lighting you might consider:
- Ambient Lighting: This is the general lighting that provides overall illumination to a room. Examples include ceiling-mounted fixtures, chandeliers, or recessed lighting that evenly distributes light throughout the space.
- Task Lighting: Task lighting is focused and directed lighting that helps you perform specific activities. Examples include desk lamps, reading lights, under-cabinet lights in the kitchen, or vanity lights in the bathroom.
- Accent Lighting: Accent lighting is used to draw attention to specific objects or areas in a room. It adds visual interest and can create a focal point. Examples include track lighting that illuminates artwork, wall sconces, or uplight that highlight architectural features.
- Natural Lighting: Natural lighting refers to the use of sunlight to brighten a room. Utilizing windows, skylights, or glass doors allows natural light to enter and create a warm and inviting atmosphere during the day.
- Decorative Lighting: Decorative lighting serves as an aesthetic element, adding style and personality to a space. It includes fixtures like decorative pendant lights, chandeliers, or wall sconces that act as eye-catching design elements even when not in use.
- Dimmable Lighting: Dimmable lighting fixtures or bulbs allow you to adjust the brightness levels, creating different moods and settings to suit various occasions and personal preferences. They are commonly used in living rooms, dining areas, or bedrooms.
Remember, the combination and placement of these lighting types can greatly influence the overall feel and functionality of a home. It’s always a good idea to consider the specific needs of each room and experiment with different lighting arrangements to achieve the desired effect.
Standard Lighting Design 101
There are (3) Main lighting groups or categories:
Ambient or General
General/ambient” lighting means that the light has no specific purpose, but to make a room more comfortable. The ambient light, in this case, refers to light from all of the sources listed above working together to create an overall effect. The idea is that you will have a well lit room that should be comfortable enough to enjoy alone or with company.
Task lighting is directed lighting toward a particular area to give more detail to objects and provide safe passage. Any close-range work such as cooking, sewing, drawing, and writing should have task lighting—enough to see a blemish in canvas and clothing.
This lighting is used to add visual interest and Highlight an Area. It will give that area/room a sense of WOW!
Types of Lighting Fixtures
Now we’re getting he part of how we “shed light” in our homes…one room at a time. I love this part….
Pendant fixtures hang down from the ceiling by a cord, cable, or chain. They are usually found in dining rooms and kitchens, especially in home with higher ceilings.
Surface-mounted fixtures are visible and are usually flush against the ceiling or wall. They are most commonly used in entryways, hallways, and bedrooms.
Recessed lighting is hidden away, usually in a ceiling cavity, so you can’t see the light source directly. This type of indirect lighting, usually in the form of downlight/potlights, can be used effectively in any room of the home. Just be careful not to go overboard as you want a variety of light sources and types
Track lighting can provide a lot of flexible lighting options. There are multiple bulbs on one track, with multiple circuits and voltages. You can choose to have them suspended from the ceiling like pendant lights or surface-mounted, like surface light. The variety of finished, colors, and styles can be overwhelming, so speak with a lighting professional before making a final decision.
Lightbulb are the unsung heroes of lamps and other lighting fixtures. With a flick of a switch, they brighten up our spaces and create a cozy atmosphere. So, next time you turn on a lamp and bask, and its gentle radiance, step back take a moment and appreciate the humbleness of that lightbulb.
Lighting plays a very important role and enhancing our home decor as well as the lighting the area. opt for energy efficient lighting fixtures, preferably ones that are smart home enabled, allowing for light control from a phone or tablet. How cool is that???
Top Readers Choice
FACT: about 5% of an average household energy bill goes to lighting. For many years the only style of light bulb available to household. What is the incandescent bulb. Move over incandescent you’ve got some competition coming on.
When it comes to lighting, whether it is: pendant, lights, surface, recessed, track, and chandeliers – they all have their part to play in contributing to the ambience and functionality of our home.
Remember, decorative lighting allows you to showcase your personal style and create a warm and inviting atmosphere in your home. By incorporating these decorative lighting options, you can add a touch of charm, personality, and friendliness to your living spaces.
As you can see, lighting plays a crucial role in transforming a house into a warm and inviting home. By carefully selecting and incorporating different types of lighting, you can create the perfect ambiance for each room while adding a touch of style and personality. Whether it’s the soothing glow of ambient lighting, the focused illumination of task lighting, the captivating charm of accent lighting, or the decorative flair of unique fixtures, your choices can truly make a difference. So go ahead, let your creativity shine, and embrace the power of lighting to create a cozy and welcoming haven where both family and friends feel right at home.
So….the next time you are basking in the beautiful glow of your chosen lighting, which ever you choose, step back and take in your surroundings. You’ve added that personal touch to your space. Ahhhhh
Thanks for joining us and being a part of The City Cottage Family. I love when we can visit.
Don’t forget to Visit us over at: Pinterest. Share us with someone you know, “Sharing is Caring”.
Until next time.